Quick Summary: We chose the Caldwell Lead Sled DFT Adjustable Ambidextrous Rifle as the top shooting rest due to its durable construction and versatility that allows for use with multiple types of weapons. Additionally, it allows you to easily adjust the elevation and windage, and it comes with a added weights.
It can be difficult to keep your gun steady and your aim precise while hunting or doing target practice, especially when you are doing so for long periods of time.
Using a shooting rest can help you in quite a few ways. It can help keep your arm and weapon steady, improve your aim, and prevent fatigue in your arm- which could cause a bad shot.
Here, we are going to look at the different aspects of shooting rests and seven different good options for you to consider. With this information, you should be able to easily choose the right shooting rest for you.
- Top 10 Shooting Rests Comparison
- Reviews of Top 10 Shooting Rests
- How to Choose the Best Shooting Rest
- Final Verdict
Top 10 Shooting Rests Comparison
1. Caldwell Lead Sled DFT Adjustable Rifle (Best overall)
This is one of the best shooting rests if you are ambidextrous and features a skeletonized front rest, front and rear adjusting and has recoil reduction. Perfect for an outdoor shooting range.
|Read Our Review
2. Primos Group Therapy Bench Anchor Shooting Rest (Best Budget)
This Primos group therapy bench anchor shooting rest has a front bag, an accessory tray for storing gear or a weight bag, a soft touch grip, and a butt plate guard for recoil reducing action.
|Read Our Review
3. Caldwell The Rock BR Adjustable Ambidextrous Rifle Shooting Rest
The Caldwell Rock is compatible with any Caldwell Rock Deluxe front rest bags as well as all Caldwell filled bags. It raises high for guns with detachable magazines and has windage adjusting.
|Read Our Review
4. Caldwell Stinger Adjustable Ambidextrous Rifle Shooting Rest
This gun rest is one of the 10 best shooting rests, with a 'no wobble' elevation system, a rear fine elevation adjusting, and a rack and pinion front elevation system for best shooting.
|Read Our Review
5. MTM Pistol Rest
The MTM pistol rest has an adjustable base with 20 different positions and can be used with or without a sandbag. Suitable for anything from a Derringer to a 14-inch Contender.
|Read Our Review
6. Goplus Portable Shooting Table Seat Set
Ideal for hunting, target practice, sighting, and shooting, this set has a shooting platform and table and two pockets for ammo and other accessories. Suitable for adults and youths.
|Read Our Review
7. Caldwell Lead Sled Solo Adjustable Rifle Shooting Rest
Made of heavy-duty steel, this shooting rest has one knob elevation adjustment, an adaptable front cradle, a front rest and rear cradle, and can hold many kinds of rifles.
|Read Our Review
8. Caldwell Ambidextrous Rifle Shooting Rest
An easily portable shooting rest with a weight of under 6 pounds, this rest features non-marring rear stock and front forend support to securely hold a gun without damaging points of contact.
|Read Our Review
9. Vanguard Porta Aim Gun Rest
With an anti-vibration bag that swivels 360 degrees, this gun rest offers front and rear shooting with a quick height adjustment and a single handed center column adjusting ring.
|Read Our Review
10. Caldwell Steady Rest Pistol Handgun Shooting Rest
This Caldwell shooting rest is suitable for rifles and shotguns and is made for comfort and durability. The rest has three sections so you can adjust the length to fit your pistol, long rifle or shotgun.
|Read Our Review|
Reviews of Top 10 Shooting Rests
Here’s a list of the best shooting rests we found on the market:
1. Caldwell Lead Sled DFT Adjustable Ambidextrous Rifle
What You Will Love: This Caldwell Lead Sled shooting rest makes it very easy to adjust the wind and elevation levels for more accurate shooting.
With 18 inches of adjustable length, this shooting rest allows plenty of versatility so that you can use it with almost any firearm. Caldwell also made the front of the rest so that it holds your firearm in place without damaging the end of it.
The knobs for adjusting your rifle for wind and elevation are in a convenient spot so that there is no need to take the gun off the rest. This is very helpful because it means easily adjusting your sight without making too much movement or noise while hunting.
The Caldwell Lead Sled shooting rest is constructed from a very durable dual steel frame- one that helps reduce recoil after your shot. As a bonus, it comes with a weight beg.
However, that weight bag is not made very well, so it will probably fall apart pretty quickly. Have an extra on stand by. Also, it is a very good quality shooting rest, so expect to pay over $200
- It is 24 pounds, which makes it lighter than other options.
- It is made with a very durable dual steel frame.
- You get a weight bag with it.
- It is adjustable enough to use with most guns.
- You can easily adjust the wind and elevation levels.
- The weight bag is not great quality.
- At over $200, it is a little expensive.
2. Primos Group Therapy Bench Anchor Adjustable
What You Will Love: Primos shooting rest offers little to no recoil at all, and it is a great price.
If you are looking for something to help save your shoulder from recoil, the Primos Group Therapy Bench Anchor Adjustable Shooting Rest is it. Thanks to the butt plate, you feel little, if any, recoil from your weapon- something we can all appreciate.
Primos shooting rest is made with a durable steel frame, and there are studded front feet to help keep the rest in place. It does not matter if you are a left handed shooter or a right handed shooter- it works well for both. It only weighs two pounds, so it is very lightweight.
You can easily adjust the elevation with this rest, but adjusting the windage is not so easy. This shooting rest does not come with any weight bags, but at only $60, it does not seem so bad to have to spend a little extra on some weight bags.
- At less than $60, it is very affordable.
- It is made from very durable steel and studded feet for a good anchor.
- It has a butt plate guard which reduces or cancels recoil.
- Both left handed and right handed shooters can use it easily.
- It is even more lightweight than the Caldwell option.
- You can easily adjust the elevation.
- You cannot adjust the windage.
- It does not come with any weight bags.
- A little extra padding could go a long way by way of comfort.
3. Caldwell The Rock BR Adjustment Ambidextrous Rifle
What You Will Love: This Caldwell Lead Sled BR adjustment shooting rest is designed with a bag tensioning system which provides more forend support.
For those who want a shooting rest that provides optimal sighting, the Caldwell The Tock BR Adjustment Ambidextrous Rifle Shooting Rest is a good choice for you.
First off, the feet are adjustable meaning you can set it up in the most comfortable position for you. With the adjustment knob so conveniently placed, you can easily adjust your sight, elevation, and windage without removing the rifle from the shooting rest.
Additionally, it is made for those who like guns with detachable mags as you can easily raise it high. Both left handed shooters and right handed shooters can easily use this shooting rest. As it is usable straight from the box, both professional shooters and amateur shooters alike can make it work well for them.
While this shooting rest does come with bags, you might consider purchasing separate ones as the included ones are not really good quality. As far as pricing goes, it could be worse or it could be better. At about $140, it is in between our previous two options, so it will really depend on your budget.
- What We Liked:
- At 13 pounds it is pretty lightweight.
- It provides fine elevation adjustment and windage adjustment.
- The feet are adjustable to allow a comfortable position.
- The adjustment knob is conveniently placed so you can easily adjust your sight without removing your rifle.
- It works with a few different sizes of weight bags.
- It also lets you raise up high so you can use guns that you need to detach the magazines from.
- It is great for both left handed and right handed shooters, as well as pros and entry-level shooters.
- The bags are not the best quality, so you might want to purchase some separate ones.
- It costs around $140, which might be a bit expensive for some.
4. Caldwell Stinger Adjustable Ambidextrous Rifle
What You Will Love: The good looking shooting rest design is made with a very handy rack and pinion system that helps provide a “no wobble” experience.
The Caldwell Stinger Adjustable Ambidextrous Rifle Shooting Rest not only looks good, but it also works really well for both left handed and right handed shooters.
It is made with a tough steel tube frame that makes it a durable shooting rest, and the way the front of the rest is made keeps it from destroying or scratching your gun. At the same time, it- along with the rubber feet- holds your gun securely in place, giving you a much more accurate shot.
The durable frame makes the shooting rest great for guns with detachable magazines. On the other hand, due to the stinger design, it may prove difficult to reach the trigger and magazines of some guns. It runs around $120, so it is one of the cheaper options on the list.
- It is constructed with a rigid steel tube frame.
- It comes designed with a rack and pinion front elevation system for a “no wobble” experience.
- The skeletonized front rest and rear cradle securely holds your gun in place and does no damage to your gun.
- The dual frame makes it great for rifles with a detachable magazine.
- The easy to operate adjustment knobs are placed in such a way that you do not need to remove the rifle from the rest.
- The rubber feet hold the shooting rest in place.
- It is great for both left handed shooters and right handed shooters.
- It may be difficult to reach the trigger and mags of some guns around the stinger design.
5. MTM Pistol Rest
What You Will Love: The MTM shooting rest has the ability to hold a variety of pistols, but it can also be used as a front shooting rest.
The MTM Pistol Rest is a versatile little tool. It has the ability to hold most pistols, but it can also be used as a front rifle rest if you prefer that to a full rifle rest.
It is constructed from tough plastic and a thick rubber padded molding which provides a great grip for the pistol.
It is important to point out that this shooting rest is literally just a rest- the pistol will not stay still when you move. In other words, you cannot just lay your pistol there like you usually can on a full shooting rest.
If you move, you will need to re-aim each time. However, the base is adjustable and locks into 20 different positions. It actually breaks down for easier and more compact storage. For about $20, it is a very affordable and handy item.
- It costs about $20, so it is very affordable.
- It is constructed from tough polypropylene.
- It can be used with or without a sandbag.
- The rubber padded molding of the pistol rest provides a great grip for a pistol.
- The adjustable base locks into 20 various positions.
- You can use it as a front rifle rest.
- It is very easy to store.
- The gun does not stay put on its own.
6. GOPLUS Portable Shooting Table Bench Seat with Adjustable Gun Rest
What You Will Love: This handy shooting table is easily portable, cushioned, adjustable, and comes with space to store your ammo.
The GOPLUS Portable Shooting Table Bench Seat with Adjustable Gun Rest and Ammo Pockets is a very neat hunting or target practice tool.
The shooting rest is adjustable, so anyone from kids to very tall people can use it, and it holds up to 300 lbs with no issue.
The seat and table are cushioned, so sitting for long periods is no issue. The large shooting platform gives you a lot of space to spread out your arms, and you can use the pockets for either extra ammo or accessories like your keys.
It can be easily folded up for storage or transport, but it is a little awkward for some to march into the woods with it. This very awesome table is only about $115, so it really is a great price for all that you get.
- It is made from an all steel frame to make the table very stable, and a powder coated design to prevent rust.
- It supports weights up to 300 lbs.
- You can adjust the height of the table easily, so adults and children can use it.
- There is a large shooting platform and two pockets to hold your ammo.
- It can easily be folded up for transport or storage.
- Both the table and chair have cushions to give you plenty of comforts.
- For such a great item, it weighs only 35 lbs.
- It might be a little awkward to carry around.
7. Caldwell Lead Sled Solo Adjustable Recoil Reducing Rifle
What You Will Love: The durable steel construction is made to withstand high volume shooting, so you can spend your day firing away.
This Caldwell Lead Sled Solo Adjustable Rifle Shooting Rest reduces recoil up to 90%, so you get more consistent precision.
You can easily adjust for elevation and wind without needing to take the gun out from the shooting rest.
The front rest, rear cradle, and the rubber feet all help to hold your rifle firmly in place and prevent any marks on it while shooting. The height is adjustable, so you can be more comfortable while shooting.
The shooting rest is also very easy to assemble, and very affordable since it costs less than $80. It is a bit heavy, though, which makes it a little uncomfortable to transport.
- It reduces recoil up to 90%.
- This rest is great for high volume shooting thanks to its very durable steel construction.
- It provides very precise adjustments for elevation and wind without having to remove the gun from the rest.
- There is a gun retention strap.
- The front rest, rear cradle, and rubber feet all prevent damage to your gun with holding your gun securely.
- It is a great rest for rifles of all sizes, including those with detachable magazines.
- You can also adjust the height, making it a little more comfortable for you.
- It is easy to assemble.
- At less than $80, it is pretty affordable.
- It feels quite heavy.
8. Caldwell DeadShotFieldPod Adjustable Ambidextrous Rifle Shooting Rest
What You Will Love: You will love that this shooting rest works with any size rifle, including detachable magazine rifles and crossbows. This Caldwell model works well for ground blinds, predator/turkey hunting, and long-range shooting. It weighs just under 6 pounds and the height is adjustable – from 20 to 42 inches. The frame rotates 360 degrees for optimum adjustment.
The dual frame provides a high level of stability. The upper frame balance point adjustment and the tension knob that allows you to easily tilt the frame up and down for optimum view gives you solid support for every shot.
Protects your equipment
The molded, non-marring rear stock as well as the front forend support ensures a secure hold for your gun without damaging any points of contact.
Easy to use
The tension knob is easy to access and allows you to quickly adjust the upper frame of the shooting rest.
- Independent height-adjustable front and rear supports
- Lightweight so simple to carry with the convenient carry strap
- Simple to set up and adjustments are fluid and decisive
- You can move the frame up and down but not right to left
- Comes with a strap for carrying, but not a carrying case
- Some say the tripod is flimsy compared to other models
9. Vanguard Porta Aim Gun Rest Compact and Portable Bench Rest
What You Will Love: You will love how quickly you can get on target and stay there with this gun rest. This portable base is easily adjusted with a quick hand movement and is solid and dependable. The swivel locks in place for higher accuracy. Works with any rail or handguard system, and no problems with heat or melting.
Strong and durable
The tough black aluminum construction makes this gun shooting rest built to last for a long time.
Quick height adjustment
The single-handed, center column adjustment ring allows you to adjust the height with ease, making this model easy to use. Height can be adjusted from 8.8 to 12.6 inches.
With a weight of just 1.7 pounds, this gun rest is foldable and is simple to pack up to take anywhere, and is very fast to set up and use.
- The padded pillow and anti-vibration bag swivel 360 degrees
- Compact and portable bench rest
- Allows you to make one trip with all your gear
- It does not clamp a pistol in place and is best used as a rest only
- Some users say that the bag can tear because of the protruding screw underneath so they have fixed this by adding washers or reinforcing the bag
10. Caldwell Rifle Shotgun Pistol Handgun Shooting Rest
What You Will Love: You will love that the front rest has a firm, cushioned base that doubles as a handgun rest. This gun rest offers steady support and fine-tuned elevation modifications for a wide variety of rifles, pistols, and shotguns. It is sturdy and easy to set up.
Resists the elements
The tough construction of this gun rest makes it just about impervious to wind, rain, snow and other kinds of weather conditions.
Simple to use
The adjusting knobs are placed within easy reach so that you can make modifications without having to remove the gun from the rest.
There are three sections to this rest, all of which can be connected or disconnected so that you can create the length that you need for your pistol, shotgun, or long rifle.
- Cradles at the front and the rear both have soft, non-marring material
- can be adjusted vertically within 3 inches
- easy to use as rifle stand for cleaning
- Not the best gun rest for bench rest shooters or for shooting tight groups at a distance
- some users add loaded weights
How to Choose the Right Shooting Rest
A shooting rest can make or break a good shooting day. When shopping, take a look at the following factors to choose the best for you:
Type of Weapons that Can Be Used With It
Every shooting rest is not made for every type of gun. There are some for rifles, some for pistols, and some for completely different gun and other weapon types. It is important to choose the correct type of rest for your particular type of weapon.
Weight/Ease of Transporting
Assuming you will be using your shooting rest away from your home, having something lightweight and easy to transport is very important. Even if you cannot find one lightweight enough, make sure that it at least has handles or some other way to carry it.
For more ease, you can ease a shooting bag. Shooting bags come with a lot of versatility that are quite handy.
Attempting to adjust your weapon for elevation and winding while it is in the shooting rest is not very easy. It is best if you can find a rest that has the needed adjustment equipment built in.
Nobody likes the recoil from rifles and other high caliber weapons. If you can find a shooting rest with a backrest, the recoil should be reduced.
This is often overlooked or dreaded as it seems quite complicated, but it is actually pretty simple. It can take ten minutes or less and each individual shooting rest should come with detailed instructions to handle this properly.
Why use a shooting rest?
A shooting rest is used to prop your gun on that helps hold it steady when you are shooting. If you use a shooting rest, you can improve the accuracy of your shots greatly. It also helps prevent your arms from becoming too tired or fatigued when you are hunting or doing target practice.
For more comfort in the lying position, you should use a shooting mat. It has extra padding that prevents the knee and elbow from injuries.
Is a shooting rest safe for shooting?
Yes. In fact, as it is helping you hold your gun still and steady, it might be safer than shooting without one. This is especially true if you will be aiming your gun for long periods of time.
Where can I buy a shooting rest?
As always, Amazon is a great one stop shop for many items, but that is not the only place. Any sporting goods store should carry them, and by going to a physical store, you can actually get a feel for them.
Be sure, though, to compare the in store price to online prices. You might save money by picking the one you want in store, and then purchasing it at home.
How much does it cost to buy a shooting rest?
This depends on the type of rest you choose to buy. Our list includes options as low as $20 and as high as over $200, but each provides different features and benefits. Also, shooting rests for pistols are different from those for rifles, so the price will vary according to what you need it for.
Which brand makes the best shooting rest?
Caldwell is one of the best, and most versatile brands available when it comes to shooting rests. They have multiple options available in that brand, so they are a great one to check out first.
Final Verdict: Best Shooting Rests
If you are ready to improve your aim, a shooting rest can go a long way in helping you. The type of rest you need depends on the type of gun you will be using it and some other individual factors. The information here, as well as the seven, including reviews, can help you choose the best shooting rest for you.