“Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.”
You might have heard it a million times before and you’ll continue to hear it because it’s true!
For so many years, science has been trying to prove the fact that breakfast is necessary for a healthier lifestyle.
However, like most things in life, people usually dismiss the importance of the idea, probably because of their busy schedules, the fact that they don’t have time to prepare meals or pure laziness.
After a whole night of fasting, the body will need to be replenished with essential nutrients in order to get you to your feet and have a good running start. Not convinced yet?
Here are seven reasons why breakfast is the best meal of the day and why it is so important not to start your day without it!
1. Breakfast Is Your Energy Boost For The Day
Everyone needs to start off their day with the right nutrients. And the great thing about breakfast is that there is an endless list of breakfast foods, considered to be superfoods, thanks to their nutritional value.
- Whole grains: Whether you’re taking them in the form of oatmeal, cereal or bread, breakfast is one of the meal times you get to enjoy whole grains. This superfood is a great source of fiber that plays a major role in a healthy digestive tract and heart. Plus, these superfoods can also help lower the risk of diabetes, cancer and heart disease.
- Eggs: Eggs will not be included in a classic breakfast meal. They are super easy to prepare and contain a lot of nutrients that can benefit your overall health. They are packed with amino acids and protein and they’re loaded in vitamin D which is crucial for better calcium absorption and in turn gives you stronger bones.
- Vitamin C: Breakfast enables you to hit your daily intake of vitamin C, whether it is in solid or liquid form. Apples, grapefruits, and oranges are the most common fruits and juices you get to see on a breakfast table.
- Veggies: Although not as common, veggies for breakfast can easily be made with soup making gadgets available online. By turning those crunchy and leafy veggies into a satisfying, hot bowl of soup, you do not only get the necessary energy for the day but also take in almost half of your daily nutrient intake.
2. Breakfast Keeps Diseases At Bay
Eating breakfast is the easiest way to be healthy. A hearty, healthy breakfast can help keep your cholesterol levels down, keep your heart healthy and also reduce the chances of becoming diabetic.
People who eat a regular breakfast are less likely to become sick since it helps strengthen their immune system.
3. Breakfast Keeps Your Weight Under Control
Many times, people have a hard time maintaining a healthy weight. However, regularly eating breakfast can help resolve this issue.
By eating a healthy and satisfying breakfast, you get the right amount of nutrients and energy in the morning which prevents you from munching on everything you see throughout the day.
Moreover, eating breakfast helps control your appetite and satiety levels so you stay full for longer. Studies have also proven that individuals who consume breakfast regularly were able to keep off unwanted weight.
So, even if you are on a diet, make sure that you do not cut down on your breakfast. Skip anything but your breakfast.
4. Breakfast Improves Concentration
When you skip breakfast and your body is craving carbs, your energy levels are also in short supply and goes into conservation mode.
This is when our brain starts to slow down since you do not have enough energy to spare and this short supply will cause you to feel tired and light headed.
By consuming some carbs early in the morning, you will definitely get your brain fired up and efficiently running which increases your focus, productivity and the ability to concentrate through the day.
Regularly eating a healthy breakfast can help you perform, remember and pay attention better. Kids can concentrate better at school, are less likely to miss or be tardy on school days and get higher scores on tests.
5. Breakfast Aids In Controlling Your Cravings
Individuals who eat regular breakfast are less likely to have unnecessary cravings later in the day. If you do not eat your breakfast, you are more likely to get “HANGRY” causing you to binge eat later in the day and choose unhealthy foods such as doughnuts and other junk foods.
Doughnuts and junk foods are loaded with empty calories and contain little nutrition. Eating these types of foods might result in numerous issues such as low immunity, increased fatigue, and rapid weight gain.
This, however, can be controlled by eating healthy breakfast which keeps you feeling satisfied and fuller for a longer period of time causing you not to feel like eating in between meals.
6. Breakfast Lays Down The Foundation Of A Healthy Diet
Individuals who eat breakfast are more likely to consume an overall healthier diet. Skipping breakfast means that you might have a difficult time consuming the necessary nutrients that the body needs in order to stay healthy.
Staple foods in a breakfast usually consist of fruits, whole grains, milk, and even veggies, which are great sources of fiber, iron, calcium, and vitamins D and C.
If you do not eat breakfast, you might not be able to meet your daily nutrient recommendations. More importantly, eating breakfast regularly can lead to healthier food options at other meal times.
That is the importance of the first meal of the day. And trust me-the benefits of a healthy breakfast will surely pay off in the long run.
So, stop the dangerous act of skipping breakfast and take enough time to prepare a hearty breakfast for the entire family that will do wonders in many ways.