What Is the Best Yeast for Bread?
When you want the top yeast for bread, look no further than Fleischmann’s Yeast for Bread Machines. Because it rises quickly and you don’t have to dissolve it in water first, it cuts down on bread-prep time. Plus, it’s gluten-free and great for making a variety of bread.
In our quest for the top yeast for bread making, we rose to the occasion by looking at hundreds of products. The best yeasts are ideal for making a variety of leavened bread.
If you have a busy schedule, you may opt for a fast-acting yeast that you can add directly to the recipe.
You may also opt for the more conventional variety that requires you to dissolve it in liquid to activate it. Additionally, the best yeasts contain natural ingredients and have a long shelf life.
Top 7 Best Yeast for Bread: Our Picks & Recommendations
- Best Overall: Fleischmann’s Yeast for Bread Machines
- Best Budget: Saf Instant Yeast
- Best Instant Yeast: Fleischmann’s Instant Yeast
- Runner Up ( Best Instant Yeast ): Fleischmann’s Instant Dry Yeast
- Best Active Dry Yeast: Fleischmann’s Active Dry Yeast
- Best for bread Machine: Fleischmann’s Bread Machine Yeast
- Best Gluten Free Active Dry Yeast: Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Active Dry Yeast
7 Best Yeast for Bread Reviews
What You Will Love: It’s gluten-free, rises quickly, and doesn’t require you to add water.
When it came to selecting the top yeast for bread, we gave that designation to Fleischmann’s Yeast for Bread Machines.
Because it’s so versatile and easy to use, it’s the go-to for bread-makers who don’t have lots of time to spend leavening their loaves.
Since it’s active dry yeast, it only requires one rise, and you don’t have to add water the way you do with some bread yeasts.
Just add the fermented ingredient directly to your favorite recipes. If you have dietary restrictions, you’ll be happy to know that this yeast is gluten-free.
- Rises quickly
- No need to add water
- May not work well with Splenda recipes
What You Will Love: Large quantity, low price, fast-acting, doesn’t require pre-dissolving
If you’re making bread on a budget, Saf Instant Yeast gives you the best bang for your buck.
As one of the top-selling yeasts worldwide, it’s easy to use and comes with a small price tag. Since it’s in a one-pound bag, you’ll have plenty on hand.
As long as you put it in an airtight container, you can store it for up to 6 months at room temperature or in the fridge, and for a year or more in the freezer.
Because it’s fast-acting, this best yeast doesn’t need proofing and works more efficiently than most “rapid-rise” options.
- Large quantity
- Great price
- No proofing
- Long shelf life (especially when placed in the freezer)
- Some customers complained that the yeast didn’t rise as much as they expected or that it expired quickly.
Best Instant Yeast
What You Will Love: Large quantity, no preservatives, Kosher
Because it comes in a large quantity-2 one-pound bags at a good price, we chose Fleischmann’s Instant Yeast as one of our top picks.
If bread-making is a daily endeavor for you, you can make many loaves before you have to replenish your supply. With its innovative packaging, it’s easy to use and store.
If you’re trying to limit synthetic ingredients, you’ll be happy to know that this instant dry yeast contains no preservatives, and it’s Kosher. Keeping it in the freezer after opening may extend its shelf life.
- Large amount of yeast at a reasonable price
- Stores well in the freezer
- The packaging isn’t resealable
- So once it’s opened
- You must transfer the yeast to an airtight container
Runner Up ( Best Instant Yeast )
What You Will Love: Large quantity at a reasonable price, no preservatives, fast-acting.
For our other top pick in this category, we selected Fleischmann’s Active Dry Yeast because of its price and quality.
It’s Kosher, contains no preservatives, and you can use it in bread machines. This yeast is fast-acting-no need to dissolve it in water first; just add it to your favorite recipes.
Since it comes in a one-pound bag, you won’t run out right away, even if you’re making bread at home on a regular basis. Plus, it stores well as long as you keep it sealed.
- No proofing required
- It’s Kosher
- Contains no preservatives
- And has a long shelf life (especially if it’s stored in the refrigerator or freezer)
- Not many, Only a few customers weren’t satisfied.
Best Active Dry Yeast
What You Will Love: This best yeast for making bread allows for easy storage, yields great results, and is more economical than buying individual envelopes.
Fleischmann’s Active Dry Yeast was rated best of its kind because of its consistent, high-quality performance. It comes in a 4-oz. jar (the equivalent of 16 individual packets), so a little goes a long way.
Even better, it’s all-natural and gluten-free. To get the most out of this best yeast for baking bread, be sure to dissolve it in warm liquid (100-110°F) before incorporating it into your recipe.
As long as you keep it properly sealed, this yeast stores well, especially if you place it in the refrigerator after opening. Many customers also reported that using this yeast for bread adds excellent flavor.
- Good quantity for the price
- High-performing yeast with no preservatives
- We couldn’t really find any
- As with any product, there were a handful of dissatisfied customers
Best for bread Machine
What You Will Love: Yeast is fast-acting, comes in a good-sized quantity, and works great for both bread machine and conventional recipes.
If you’re looking for the top yeast for bread machines, look no further Fleischmann’s Bread Machine Yeast.
If you want to save time when making bread at home, you’ll be pleased to know that this fast-acting yeast doesn’t require you to dissolve it in water first and only requires one rise.
Not only does it work well with bread machines, but you can also use it with conventional rapid-rise recipes, too.
This instant yeast is gluten-free and gives you the equivalent of 16 envelopes, so you’ll have enough on hand to make several loaves.
- Good quantity for the price
- Easier to measure and store than individual packets
- We really couldn’t find any
Best Gluten Free Active Dry Yeast
What You Will Love: Great for people with special dietary needs or preferences, versatile, stores well.
When it comes to the best gluten-free active dry yeast, Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Active Dry Yeast took first place.
If you have dietary restrictions, this product may be the right choice for you because it’s Paleo-friendly, Kosher Pareve, vegan, and vegetarian.
This quality yeast for bread also works especially well when making pizza crust, flatbread, rolls, blinis, and buns. To optimize its shelf life, you can store it in a sealed jar in the refrigerator for up to one year.
- Fairly large quantity
- Good for a variety of baked goods
- Not many, although there were a few complaints about yeast being dead on arrival or near or past its expiration date.
When it comes to the best yeast for bread, not just any product will do. The good yeast for bread adds excellent flavor and performs as promised.
Whether you use a bread machine or knead your dough by hand, and whether you’re making pizza or pita bread, these leavening ingredients can help you take your bread-making to the next level.
- Best Bread Flour Types For All Your Bread Baking
- Bread Machine Buying Guide
- Bread Slicer Reviews
- Best Bread Box Reviews
- Best Bread Knife
- Top Pizza Stone For Grill Reviews
- More Grocery & Gourmet Food Buying Guide