What is the Best Faucet Water Filter?
We have picked the PUR FM-3700 Advanced Faucet Water Filter as the top faucet water filter as it is very effective at removing contaminants and produces great tasting water. This faucet water filter uses a combination of filtering technologies to provide much cleaner water and gives you up to 100 gallons of water in between your faucet filter replacements.
As tap water continues to get dirtier and more contaminants are discovered, the need for clean, filtered water grows. Unfortunately, the cost of purchasing bottled or jugged water can add up over time.
A solution to this is to filter your tap water, and one of the simplest ways to do that is with a faucet water filter.
Faucet water filters attach either directly to the spout of your faucet or under your kitchen sink. When turned on, it will filter your water as it comes through to your sink.
Faucet water filters can be very low or very expensive, depending on your preferences. All of them, however, will likely cost much less than buying filtered water.
10 Top Faucet Water Filter: Our Picks & Recommendations
- Best Overall: PUR FM-3700 Advanced Faucet Water Filter
- Best Budget: Waterdrop 320 Gallon Long Lasting Faucet Filtration System
- Best Saving Space: New Wave Enviro 10 Stage Water Filter
- Best for Advanced Filtration: DuPont WFFM350XCH Electric Metered Deluxe Faucet Mount
- Best White Finish (Advanced Filtration) : Culligan FM-15A Faucet Mount Filter With Advanced Water Filtration
- Best Chrome Finish (Advanced Filtration) : Culligan FM-25 Faucet Mount Filter with Advanced Water Filtration
- Best for Great Tasting Mineral Water: PUR 3 Stage Horizontal Water Filtration Faucet Mount
- Best for Filter Change Reminder: Brita Tap Water Filter System
- Best for High Water Flow: Engdenton Stainless Steel Faucet Water Filter
- Best for Extra Long Filter Life: Whirlpool WHER25 Reverse Osmosis Filtration System
Why Buy a Faucet Water Filter?
If you grew up drinking straight from the tap or the hosepipe in your yard like I did, you may wonder why you should buy a faucet water filter.
At one point in my life, I wondered, too. That is until a leak of oil and chemicals into water near my home prevented even using tap for cooking water.
After that scare, I started paying much more attention to what is in our water.
While the water was safer when we were younger, times have changed. There is more litter being thrown into the water, more chemicals being leaked, farming and production practices have changed, and so on.
The truth is that as some things, such as technology, improve, others disintegrate. Trusting that the tap water is safe is not a wise idea.
You can tell that simply by the smell of your water. The odors do not appear out of thin air.
Chemicals and contaminants are causing them, so to keep yourself and your family safe, investing in a faucet water filter is a good move.
The following are some specific benefits of these filter systems
Unlike some water filtration systems, faucet water filters are very easy to install. Most attach to your faucet in seconds without any tools.
Those few that do need tools generally need no more than a pair of pliers. There is no high-cost installation for you to enjoy your clean, filtered water.
Safe, Tasty Water:
These faucet water filters reduce or completely remove most, if not all, contaminants in your water.
They also help rid the water of chemicals and heavy metals. These features provide you with clean and delicious water without the cost of bottles or jugs.
No Plastic Bottles:
It is well known that plastics can be extremely harmful to the environment, but do you know how harmful it can be to your body?
Plastic breaks down over time and can affect the quality of your water. This, of course, can affect your health.
No Bad Smell:
On top of removing chemicals and contaminants, faucet water filters can strip away nasty smells and taste in your water.
Tap water can come full of many dangerous contaminants that can negatively impact your health.
Some of these include cryptosporidium, giardia, pesticides, and other harmful microorganisms. Most faucet water filters can filter out most, if not all, of these contaminants to improve your health.
Blocks Heavy Metals:
From the water plant to your faucet, your water has tons of opportunities to come into contact with heavy metals that can harm your body.
Water faucet filters can rid your water of these heavy metals before they reach your bottle or glass.
As previously mentioned, plastic can be harmful to the environment.
Filtering your water at home can reduce the amount of plastic that ends up in a landfill or worse-litter on the side of the road.
Faucet Water Filter VS Water Filter Pitcher
With so many types of home water filtration systems available, you may be confused about how each of them works and which one you should purchase.
Two of the easiest types to install and use are faucet water filters and water filter pitchers. So what are the differences in the two?
The differences are actually pretty simple to understand. Let’s start with the faucet water filter. These filter systems usually connect directly to your faucet, though some are connected under the sink.
The convenience of these is that by switching them on, the water that comes out of the faucet is being filtered as it is coming out.
They tend to work at a fast enough pace to keep up with the flow of your water. However, you can buy some that are labeled for a higher flow of water.
Water filter pitchers are a little more complicated to use but have their own benefits. The process with these is to fill the pitcher’s reservoir with tap water.
It will then work its way down to the pitcher. Water filter pitchers often take a longer time than faucet water filters.
However, the water filter pitchers are portable and you can place them in the fridge to have cool water instead of room temperature water.
10 Best Faucet Water Filter Reviews
We went on a search to find you the best faucet water filters available.
After analyzing hundreds of reviews and ratings from both buyers and experts, we found the following ten to be the best based on the life of the filters, their reduction of contaminants and chemicals, and the ease of switching from tap to filtered water.
What You Will Love: It has an LED indicator that lets you know the filter’s status and when it needs to be changed.
The PUR FM-3700 is designed by PUR, a company that has been around for a long time. This PUR faucet water filter is certified to reduce more than 70 contaminants, 99% of lead, and 96% of mercury.
It also reduces or rids your water of the chlorine taste and smell. All of this is carried out with a combination of ion exchange and activated carbon technologies.
It is easy to attach directly to your faucet with no need of tools. One filter can give you up to 100 gallons of water, which gives an average family 2 to 3 months of use between filter replacements.
The common complaint is that over time, you might find it starts spouting out of the sides.
- The LED indicator shows filter status
- Certified to reduce more than 70 contaminants and 99% of lead
- One filter gives 100 gallons
- Longstanding company
- Combination of activated carbon and ion exchange
- Easily attaches to the faucet
- Swivels 360 degrees
- Removes 96% of mercury
- Some units spring leaks out of the sides over time
What You Will Love: This faucet water filter provides 320 gallons of water between filter replacements. Depending on the frequency with which it is used, that could be up to 6 months of filtered water.
The Waterdrop 320 Gallon Long Lasting Faucet Filtration System is equipped with a pre-sediment filtration layer, activated carbon fiber, advanced filtration layer, post-filtration layer, and end filtration stainless steel mesh.
This multi-layer faucet filter is designed to remove as many materials, contaminants, and particles as possible.
It only works with standard faucets, which is a bit of a letdown. However, it is fast enough to fill four water bottles in one minute.
It also comes with a 30-day money back guarantee and a limited one year warranty.
- 320 gallons of water per filter
- Removes lead and fluoride
- Fast enough to fill up 4 water bottles in one minute
- Simple switch from filtered to tap
- Works with standard faucet
- Great price
- 30 day money back guarantee
- Limited one year warranty
- Does not fit specialty faucets such as faucets with sensors
- Pull out faucets
- Spray style faucets
- Or handheld faucets
Best Saving Space
What You Will Love: The water goes through a 10 stage process to maximize the filtering.
The New Wave Enviro 10 Stage Water Filter eliminates many contaminants including chlorine, organic arsenic, inorganic arsenic, mercury, lead, trihalomethanes, asbestos, and more.
However, it leaves behind healthy minerals like magnesium, potassium, fluoride, and more. It attaches easily as either a space-saving countertop filter or an under sink water filter.
You need an extra kit to attach it under the sink. At nearly $90 and up, the price is a bit steep for many. However, if you spend a lot of money on bottled water, the cost of the faucet filter may decrease your costs.
- 10 stages of filtration
- Eliminates many harmful contaminants like arsenic and mercury
- Leaves healthy minerals magnesium and potassium
- Space Saver
- Can be counter top faucet or under the sink faucet, simple to attach
- Simple to use
Best for Advanced Filtration with Electronic Display
What You Will Love: It has an easy to read electronic display that keeps up with how much it has filtered and how much more it will.
The DuPont WFFM350XCH Electric Metered Deluxe Faucet Mount filter can filter up to 200 gallons in between replacements.
The electronic display shows you how much longer you have before it needs to be changed so you are not left guessing. The filter reduces chlorine, lindane, asbestos, mercury, lead and more.
The cartridge housing is antimicrobial for extra safety. It fits most standard faucets and attaches easily with minimal tools.
Unfortunately, it is not compatible with pull-down spray head faucets. It comes with a lifetime battery that is replaceable and already installed and a four-year limited warranty.
- Easy to read electronic display
- 200 gallons before replacing the filter
- Reduces many harmful contaminants
- Antimicrobial cartridge housing
- Replaceable lifetime battery already installed
- Four-year limited warranty
- Fits most standard sinks
- Easily attaches with minimal tools
- Great taste
- Great price
- Not compatible with spray head faucet
Best for Advanced Filtration-White Finish
What You Will Love: It comes with adapters that fit all standard sink nozzles.
The Culligan FM-15A Faucet Mount Filter With Advanced Water Filtration is a great filtration system that can filter up to 200 gallons of water in between filter changes.
That should last most average households at least a couple of months. It is NSF certified and effectively reduces chlorine, atrazine, lead, particulates, and more. It is easy to install without the use of tools.
This model faucet water filter also lets you easily switch between filtered and unfiltered water. This unit runs between $20 and $30, making it a very fair price.
The only downside I could find is that it will not fit to drop down faucets. However, it does come with adapters so you can easily attach it to your standard sink.
- Great price
- Filters last for up to 200 gallons of water
- Diverter lets you easily switch between tap and filter
- Easy to install
- NSF certified
- Fits standard sinks
- Removes bad taste and odor, lead, lindane, turbidity, atrazine, and more
- Very simple installation with no tools
- Does not fit on drop down faucets
Best for Advanced Filtration-Chrome Finish
What You Will Love: The Culligan FM-25 Faucet Mount Filter with Advanced Water Filtration is an excellent faucet filter that produces up to 200 gallons of water before you need to change the filter, which should be about every two months.
The Culligan FM-25 Faucet Mount Filter with Advanced Water Filtration is an excellent faucet filter that produces up to 200 gallons of water before you need to change the filter, which should be about every two months.
It uses carbon block technology to filter cryptosporidium, chlorine, giardia cysts, lead, and more. Users are raving about the filtering capabilities of this filtration system.
Another highly mentioned feature is the ability to quickly switch from filtered to unfiltered water. Unfortunately, it has also been mentioned often that the filters are very difficult to replace.
It seems that you have to put a lot of force into taking the filter out- so much so that some people have broken the faucet filter.
However, most of the users love the filtering capabilities so much that they would rather buy the unit over and over.
- NSF certified
- Reduces Cryptosporidium, giardia cysts, lead, and more
- Filters 200 gallons of water between filter changes
- Carbon block filtration method
- Includes adapters to fit all standard sink nozzles
- Simple diverter tab with a quick switch between filtered and unfiltered
- Easy to install
- Great price
- Difficult to change the filter
Best for Great Tasting Mineral Water
What You Will Love: The PUR 3 Stage Horizontal Water Filtration Faucet Mount does a great job at filtering your water. It uses a 3 stage system. The first stage is a sediment wrap for reducing dirt, sand, and rust.
The second stage is an activated carbon microfilter. This filter removes 97% of the chlorine taste and smell, reduces heavy metals like mercury, and removes asbestos, 99% of lead, and more. The third stage filters your water through natural minerals for a great taste.
This filter produces around 100 gallons of filtered water in between filter changes. And there is an LED indicator that lets you know the status of your filter.
This unit is a bit higher than most, and it is not compatible with pull out or handheld faucets. Another common issue is that over time, the faucet filter may develop leaks.
- Chrome finish
- LED indicator to track how much time the filter has left
- Each filter provides up to 100 gallons of filtered water
- Easily flip between filtered and unfiltered
- One click installation
- Two-year warranty
- Removes lead, microbial cysts, and more
- Not compatible with pull out or handheld faucets
- Higher price than other units
- May start leaking over time
Best for Filter Change Reminder
What You Will Love: It has an LED filter change reminder with clear red and green lights. It is simple to understand so that you know when to change your filter.
The Brita Tap Water Filter System is very easy to install with no tools at all. The filter itself reduces over 60 contaminants including lead, and one filter produces 100 gallons of crisp and fresh water.
The filter housing is BPA free, and the unit has three different spraying options including filtered and unfiltered water, and unfiltered spray.
The faucet filter fits only standard faucets. There have been quite a few complaints that the product did not work well, but there has been a product redesign that seems to have solved the issues. At a little over $20, it is a great price.
- Filter change reminder with easy to recognize red and green lights
- BPA free
- Reduces lead
- Great price
- Easy to install-no tools required
- Filters out 60 contaminants
- One filter produces 100 gallons
- It comes with 3 sprays options-filtered water
- Unfiltered water, and unfiltered spray
- Only fits standard faucets
Best for High Water Flow
What You Will Love: This faucet water filter can produce up to 8 cups of filtered water per minute.
The Engdenton Stainless Steel Faucet Water Filter is very easy to install with no extra tools. The stainless steel housing if both crack resistant and leak proof.
The activated carbon fiber filter technology removes dirt, sand, rust, and other particles.
One filter can produce up to 320 gallons of water or last 6 months. The activated carbon fiber filter also fights bacterial growth in the faucet filter.
This faucet filter costs over $50, so there are cheaper options available. For those who want to get their water quickly, though, this would be a great option.
Additionally, if you want to cook and clean off fruits and vegetables with cleaner water, this faucet filter can make it simple since it swivels in any direction.
- Food grade stainless steel
- Reduces chlorine
- High water flow
- Activated carbon filter
- Inhibits bacterial growth
- Removes dirt, rust, and other particles
- Produces 8 cups of filtered water a minute
- Each filter has a maximum life of 320 gallons or 6 months
- Can swivel 360 degrees at any angle
- There are definitely cheaper brands
- Only fits standard faucets
Best for Extra Long Filter Life
What You Will Love: The Whirlpool WHER25 Reverse Osmosis Filtration System is an easy to use a filtration system. It is mounted and stored under the sink which saves you space.
It includes an attached faucet that is fixed on top of the sink. The benefit is that you can use two separate faucets-one for filtered water and one for unfiltered water.
It has a 3 stage filtering technology that removes the taste and smell of chlorine, cysts, chemicals, lead, sediments, and dissolved solids. The ultra ease technology makes it extremely simple to make filter changes.
Speaking of filter changes, this faucet water filter has an EZ Change Indicator Light that lets you know when it is time to change your filter.
The included faucet is a cheap plastic piece. This has led users to purchase a separate metal one. Also, this is going to be a high initial investment.
However, if you drink a great deal of water, it could probably save you much more than it costs.
- Ultra ease technology for simple filter changes
- EZ Change Indicator Light
- 3 stage filter
- Reduces chlorine, odor, cysts, and more
- Space saving design
- 6-month filter life
- Tasty water
- High investment
- Included faucet may not measure up
If you are looking for cleaner, healthier water without the hassle of refilling a pitcher and waiting for the water to filter, a faucet water filter is likely a good choice for you.
After you install one with its simple process, the water comes straight from your faucet already filtered.
When you are ready to purchase your faucet water filter, research your options so that you choose the top faucet water filter for you.
- How To Choose The Best Water Filter?
- Best Water Filter Pitcher
- Countertop Water Filter Buying Guide
- Best Under Sink Water Filters Reviews
- Best Water Distillers Reviews
- Best Filtered Water Bottle Reviews
- Best Salt Free Water Softeners Reviews
- Fleck Water Softener Reviews
- Refrigerator Water Filter Buying Guide
- More Kitchen Appliances Buying Guide