Last Updated on
Which Is The Best Cheese Slicer?
We have picked the Norpro Heavy Duty Adjustable Cheese Slicer as the top Cheese Slicer because it provides very high quality and long lasting alloy that will never stain, rust, or warp. It’s adjustable allowing you to make any type of slice from thick slices or thin slices.
The cheese slicer is an indispensable kitchen tool that is useful for easily cutting neat and even slices of all types and textures of cheeses.
Cheese is a very versatile ingredient that comes in a range of appealing varieties to satisfy any palate.
Ranging from hard to gooey, and mild to sharp-cheeses find their ways into many different types of food items.
Cheeses have found a place of prominence in the culinary traditions of nearly all cultures on Earth.
So, if you have a kitchen-unless you’re suffering from a severe lactose allergy-chances are you are going to have good reason to make use of one or more types of cheese slicer.
Here we will discuss the features and used of different cheese slicers, and finally, we will cover some of the kitchen utensil market’s most recent and best cheese slicers available online and at kitchen supply outlets everywhere.
Quick Comparison: 5 Top Cheese Slicers
|1|| Norpro Heavy Duty |
Adjustable Cheese Slicer
|View On Amazon|
|2||Fox Run Premium |
Marble Cheese Slicer
|View On Amazon|
|3|| OXO Good Grips® |
Wire Cheese Slicer
|View On Amazon|
|4|| Prodyne Thick Beech |
Wood Cheese Slicer
|View On Amazon|
|5|| Bellemain Adjustable Thickness |
|View On Amazon|
Types of Cheese Slicer
These versatile tools are sometimes made similar to a knife or come as a wire equipped tool that slices through cheese while held in the hand.
Yet another type of cheese slicer consists of a table, like a cutting board with an attached knife or cutting wire on a swiveling arm.
The knife style cheese slicer is not always the easiest tool to use, especially if you are working with a semi-soft or very soft cheese. These slicers are usually only good for cutting the hard cheese types.
Often, these tools also come with a split or forked blade which you can use to skewer cheese slices, bits of fruit, or just about any other food item.
You may also use these types of cheese slicers as bar knives.
Our final type of cheese slicer is the popular “plane-like” tool with the breadboard like cutting surface mentioned above.
This is a broad piece of wood, stone, plastic, or metal with a downward moving slicing blade.
This type of cheese slicer is very useful for slicing pieces off from large blocks of hard cheese.
Many people refer to these convenient tools as Scandinavian Cheese Slicers. Due to the relatively complex nature, it’s best not to use these for soft cheeses, unless they are specially designed to do so, as they can gum up the moving parts of the slicer making them difficult to clean.
They are best used for slicing the harder cheeses into thin slices that can be used on sandwiches or served up as appetizers.
Cheese Slicer Materials
In order to accommodate the many different ways and reasons to slice cheese, and the many different cheese types, different types of cheese slicers are made using different types of materials.
Each has its advantages and disadvantages depending on how you choose to use them.
Marble cheese slicers can demonstrate both class and elegance. Not only do they show off your good taste in small kitchen tools, but marble also provides the added benefits of keeping the cheese you are preparing cool.
Also, marble does not acquire an oily surface as plastic is prone to do. Popular marble types for cheese slicers include white, black or green marble slab components.
Wooden cheese slicers are beautiful, practical and easy to use. They are lightweight enough to take with you on a picnic, yet sufficiently elegant to double as a handy serving piece whenever you entertain guests.
These types of slicers come in many types of wood, one of the most common is Beechwood. But the type of wood used is mostly a matter of style as the wood used is selected for the unique visual characteristics of the grain such as color and texture.
Stainless steel is a common material in all types of kitchen implements. It is praised for its shimmering beauty, ease of cleaning, and strength.
Bladed items made from this material hold their edges very well, seldom requiring sharpening, if ever.
Cheese slicers made with stainless steel can deliver all of the following benefits:
- Keeps cheese cool
- Cuts cheese without mess or extra dishes
- Cuts hard and soft cheeses safely and efficiently
- Never wait for replacement wires
- Rubber pads protect your counter tops and table surfaces
- Sturdy, strong, and lasts for many years
- Will never, rust, crack, or suffer from tarnishing or discoloration
- Easily stores inside your cabinets, drawers, or on display on your counter tops
- Safe for dishwashers
- Makes a great gift for family or friends
- Coordinates well with any style of kitchen décor whether modern or vintage
5 Best Cheese Slicer Reviews
With all these uses, various types of a slicer, and the wide range of high-quality materials that these items come in, it’s easy to see why there would be a lot of cheese slicers on the market to choose from.
Here are 5 of the finest and most popular cheese slicers currently available online and in retail locations everywhere.
These products represent the finest and latest that modern machining techniques and the culinary sciences can produce.
We have little doubt that one of these 5 outstanding cheese slicers will be all but sure to be your go-to slicer for many- if not all of your cheese slicing needs.
What you’ll love: This top quality cheese slicer is constructed using a durable and attractive zinc alloy – a very high quality and long lasting alloy that will never stain, rust, or warp.
- It’s adjustable allowing you to make any type of slice from thick slices or thin slices.
- It comes with convenient replacement wires are very easy to remove and replace.
- It is constructed using a durable and attractive zinc alloy- a very high quality and long lasting alloy that will never stain, rust, or warp.
- The Norpro is too heavy to travel with, making it less than ideal for picnics.
- Not ideal for use with softer cheeses given the tendency to gum up the arm mechanism.
- Tops out the price range for cheese slicers, leaving other options more attractive.
What you’ll love: This beautiful item cuts easily with stainless steel cutting wires. It comes with several replacement wires that install and uninstall with ease.
It is made of high-quality white marble, which also helps maintain a cool temperature for your cheese.
- The Fox Run Cheese Slicer cuts easily with stainless steel cutting wires.
- It is made of high-quality white marble, which also helps maintain a cool temperature for your cheese.
- Its stainless steel wires are strong and long lasting.
- Marble can crack and break much more easily them metal, or even beechwood slicers.
- Comes at a hefty price, given no greater functionality than comparable slicers.
- Falling high on the price range restricts this item to those who love and can afford marble.
What you’ll love: The OXO Cheese slicer makes it easy for you to cut any size slice, from thick to thin simply by changing the angle of your wrist.
The unique, specialized tension wheel lets you tighten the wire easily when it becomes loose with usage.
- The OXO is very affordable and versatile option.
- The unique, specialized tension wheel lets you tighten the wire easily.
- It is constructed using a very strong die-cast zinc which will last and remain beautiful for years.
- Can be a challenge to use for those with limited wrist strength.
- Does not provide the “feature appeal” other more presentable slicers possess.
- The space between the ridges in the grip can be a challenge to clean.
What you’ll love: This stylish cheese slicing appliance is made of handsome beechwood, among the lightest modern slicers of its kind making it travel-friendly and easy to store.
- It features the vintage good looks of beechwood construction.
- Is among the lightest modern slicers of its kind making it travel-friendly and easy to store.
- The Prodyne comes with a full lifetime warranty against wire breakage.
- The tight cutting groove and wood base are prone to accumulate grime.
- This cheese slicer is less durable than metal slicers.
- It’s small size can fall short where slicers of this type are expected to cut large blocks.
What you’ll love: Offer your family and friends delicious cheese trays, fancy grilled cheese sandwiches, antipasti or whatever your imagination can come up with.
This Bellemain Cheese Slicer lets you slice cheese your way.
- Its adjustable thickness cheese cutter lets you select any size slice for any culinary purpose.
- The rugged and strong stainless steel wire will cut perfect slices just the way you want them.
- It is extremely strong and durable which means your investment will be turning out perfectly sliced cheese for years.
- High on the price range, this slicer will only appeal to professional level chefs with expensive tastes.
- While strong enough to be a family heirloom, the small size does not seem to jibe with the high price.
- Like the OXO, this slicer can be a challenge to use for those with limited wrist strength.
- Best Rotary Cheese Grater-Reviews And Top Picks
- Best Cheese Grater Reviews
- Best Tomato Slicer Reviews
- Best French Fry Cutter Reviews
- Meat Tenderizer Buying Guide
- Egg Slicer Buying Guide
- Garlic Chopper Buying Guide
- Kitchen Utensil Set
- More Kitchen Utensils Buying Guide