Quick Summary: We have picked the Champion’s Men’s Long Short with Pockets as the top basketball shorts as they are comfortable and made from breathable polyester, and they have a draw cord so that you can easily make adjustments. They are also very affordable basketball shorts, shooting them to the top of our list.
Basketball is one of the most popular sports all over the world. And, out of all the sports, basketball has the most wearable and fashionable uniform. Whether you need an outfit for a pick-up game with your friends or you need to run to the supermarket, basketball shorts are an excellent option. These knee-length shorts fit into every guy’s wardrobe thanks to their laid-back style and cool designs. And basketball shorts are also comfortable as hell.
To an untrained eye, most basketball shorts appear to be the same. Sure – there are different colors and designs, but the materials and fit also seem about equal. But when you dig deeper, you’ll find out that there are different types of materials and manufacturing processes used in making basketball shorts. So, how can you know what are the best basketball shorts available on the market?
We decided to come up with a list of the best basketball shorts and review each pair carefully, pointing out their advantages and disadvantages. We included something for every guy and every budget, from classic Nike and Adidas shorts to Amazon’s budget loose shorts. Keep scrolling to find your favorite shorts of all time.
- Comparison of 10 Best Basketball Shorts
- Reviews of 10 Top Basketball Shorts
- How To Choose The Right Basketball Shorts?
- Final Verdict
Comparison Of 10 Best Basketball Shorts
1. Champion Men's Long Mesh Short (Best Overall)
These men's basketball shorts (made of 100 percent polyester) are long, lightweight, and breathable for ultimate comfort. Side pockets provide convenient storage, for keys, money, and other items.
|Read Our Review|
2. Amazon Essentials Men's 2-Pack Loose-Fit Shorts (Best Budget)
When you have good shorts, two pairs are better than one. These mesh basketball shorts are made of quick-dry, moisture wicking material, so you can wear them comfortably all day.
|Read Our Review|
Not only is the fabric of these shorts smooth and lightweight, it's UPF 30 to protect your skin from the sun's harmful UV rays. The material stretches in any direction you want to move, and anti-microbe technology cuts down on odor when you sweat.
|Read Our Review|
These best polyester shorts keep you cool and dry when you're on the court. An elastic waistband allows for a consistent, comfortable fit. Conveniently stow small items in the side pockets.
|Read Our Review|
This is a good fit for anyone in search of a smooth, lightweight, sag resistant pair of shorts. Dry-fit capabilities give you maximum comfort — on and off the court.
|Read Our Review|
Made of 100% nylon and designed with athletes in mind, these get top ratings because of their high quality. Diamond-side inserts and a graded in-seam provide a smooth, comfortable fit.
|Read Our Review|
These 100 polyester shorts give you a relaxed fit. Breathable material is comfortable to wear, whether you're on the court or on the couch. Moisture-wicking shorts are durable and accommodate your full range of motion.
|Read Our Review|
Engineered with sweat-management technology, these Nike men shorts are made with comfort and mobility in mind. Plus, they're adjustable and come with side pockets.
|Read Our Review|
These are made with climalite fabric to keep you cool and dry even when the game gets intense. They're loose-fitting but adjustable, and come with side pockets.
|Read Our Review|
These come with sweat-management technology so you can stay cool and stay in the game. Motion vents give you ease-of-movement, and side pockets allow for "breathable" storage.
|Read Our Review|
Reviews Of 10 Top Basketball Shorts
Here’s a list of the best basketball shorts we found on the market:
What You Will Love: They are affordable, comfortable, and come in different colors.
These Champion’s Men’s Long Mesh Shorts with Pockets are a very affordable option compared to most brands as you can find them as low as $10.
The outline is made from mesh, while the inside is made of polyester, providing a lot of breathabilities.
They are very comfortable and come with pockets, but the pockets are so deep that anything you have in there will have too much space to move.
They are also available in multiple colors but beware. Some of the colors are a little too see through.
- They are very affordable.
- The mesh feels good and is breathable.
- They are very comfortable and come with pockets.
- The inside of the shorts is lined with 100% polyester.
- There is a drawcord for easy adjustments.
- Some of the available colors provide a little too much view to what is underneath, so you may find yourself in need of an extra layer.
- The pockets are quite deep, which allows too much movement for anything you have in them.
What You Will Love: These are very comfortable, moisture wicking, and very affordable.
These Amazon Essentials Men’s 2 Pack Loose Fit Performance Shorts offer some very comfortable shorts at a very low price.
They are made from lightweight material that is both moistures reducing a quick dry, and you get two pairs for around $20. They seem to run a little larger than they are sized, and the stitching does not seem to last very long.
Additionally, though there is elastic and drawcord, they do not do much good as you cannot really adjust them very much.
These would probably make pretty good practice shorts, but probably not something you want to rely on during a game.
- They are very affordable- two pack for about $20.
- They are made from 100% breathable polyester.
- The material is lightweight, comfortable, quick dry, and moisture reducing.
- They provide a loose fit and an internal drawcord for adjustments.
- They are made a little larger.
- The drawcord does not tighten much.
- The stitching may come out rather quickly.
Best Basketball Shorts for Men with Anti Odor Technology
What You Will Love: They are constructed with a so called “4 way stretch” fabric, meaning that they move with you for added comfort.
Under Armour is a brand that is easy to love, and these basketball shorts make it a little easier.
The fabric is incredible. It is soft, and moisture reducing no matter how much sweat and how many washes they go through.
They are very agile and move as you move. The anti odor technology is an amazing thing- we all know that balling can get you stinky real quick.
Even better, they are sun resistant so they will not easily fade if you play or practice outdoors. They can get a bit expensive though as you can find them up to $100.
- They are very comfortable and very agile.
- They provide a great loose but not baggy fit.
- These are made with soft, moisture reducing heat gear fabric.
- They are sun resistant for those who play street ball or practice outdoors a lot.
- These shorts are constructed with anti-odor technology, a fact everyone can appreciate.
- They can get expensive as they can go up to $100 per pair.
What You Will Love: These basketball shorts are incredibly durable. Do not be surprised if they are still going strong years from now.
These Russell Athletic Men’s Mesh Shorts with Pockets are a good choice for most. They are very durable and affordable, running between $12 and $36 a pair.
The material has moisture reducing properties to keep you cool and dry, but you might find them a little shorter than you like. They are made from breathable mesh and provide great ventilation.
You can wear them on or off the court as they look great and are very comfortable. Beware if you choose the white ones, though, as they are pretty see-through.
- These shorts are very affordable.
- They come with Dri-Power moisture reducing properties to keep you cool and dry.
- There is a breathable mesh construction for great ventilation.
- There are an elastic waistband and an internal drawstring for adjustments.
- They also come with pockets.
- They look great on the court and on a regular hang out day.
- They are a little shorter than some other pairs.
- The white ones are a bit too see through.
Best Shorts for Women
What You Will Love: They provide a silky smooth feel that is as comfortable as pajama shorts.
These Champro Women’s Basketball Jersey Polyester Uniform Bottoms are a cheap option for ladies basketball shorts.
The 100% polyester material is thin, lightweight, and snag resistant. It will also keep you dry. There is a covered elastic waistband with a draw string that allows for easy adjustments.
The fit is long enough for balling, but you may find them more suitable for lounging or bed time as the material is a little thin.
Additionally, there are no pockets built in, which may or may not be an issue to you. You can find these shorts for around $10.
- They are made with 100% polyester DRI Gear fabric that feels very silky- similar to pajamas.
- They are lightweight and snag resistant.
- There is a covered elastic waistband with a drawstring.
- They are extremely affordable.
- These are very comfortable shorts.
- They provide a long fit.
- There are no pockets built in.
Best Shorts for Unisex Wear
What You Will Love: They are made with machine washable, breathable polyester and mesh, and they start at really low prices.
If you are looking for a pair of basketball shorts for your kid, these are a good choice. The polyester and mesh material is very breathable, and it is machine washable.
The shorts are very lightweight, so they will not slow your child down on the court.
They do run shorter than other options, and they seem to run a little small, so you may be better off buying a half size larger. These shorts do not provide pockets, and some of the colors are see through. However, at about $5, they are still a great deal.
- Starting at about $5, they are very affordable.
- They are made from 100% polyester and come in a full athletic cut.
- They are machine washable.
- The mesh is both breathable and lightweight.
- There is a 2 inch covered elastic waistband with a drawstring.
- There are no pockets.
- They come in youth sizes only and they are a little short compared to other options.
- They run a little small, so you may need to choose a size bigger.
- Some colors are see through.
Best Long Basketball Shorts
What You Will Love: The long inseam provides you with a longer short, and they are great for wide legs.
The ViiViiKay Men’s Long Dazzle Basketball Training and Athletic Shorts provide a great affordable option of basketball shorts.
They are made from 100% polyester enhanced with moisture reducing properties. They are very breathable and very comfortable, so they can be worn at the gym or on a regular day.
They provide a relaxed fit but are not too wide and bulky. They are made longer for those who prefer shorts a little longer than average.
As these shorts start under $15, they are very affordable. They are also pretty stylish, offering multiple color and pattern options.
- These are affordable athletic shorts.
- The material is 100% polyester and is made longer than the average athletic shorts.
- They are breathable and lightweight, and comfortable enough for all day use.
- The material also has moisture wicking properties to keep you dry and cool.
- They offer a relaxed fit without being too bulky.
- Nothing, really. These are pretty awesome athletic shorts.
Best Shorts with Pockets
What You Will Love: The DRI FIT technology is excellent at providing moisture-wicking properties.
These Nike DRI FIT Icon Basketball Shorts are great for basketball and any other sport you might want to play.
They are made from extremely comfortable and breathable 100% polyester. There is a covered elastic waistband and an internal drawstring that you can use to tighten your shorts.
They are very comfortable whether you are training or lounging around the house. provide plenty of space to move, giving you a great range of motion, and there are side pockets.
These great shorts start at only $22, which is a great price for this brand. The only downside is that some may find the material to be a bit thin.
- They are made from 100% polyester, providing comfort and breathability.
- They allow for a great range of motion, so there is no interference with your game.
- The DRI Fit Technology whisks sweat from the skin to the surface of the shorts where it dries quickly without causing you any issues.
- They are very breathable.
- There is an elastic waistband and internal drawstring that creates a secure and adjustable fit.
- There are also side pockets for storage.
- The material might be a bit too thin for your tastes.
1st Runner-Up(Basketball Shorts with Pockets)
What You Will Love: These are made from Climalite fabric which is an incredible moisture wicking material.
The Climalite fabric not only keeps you dry- it also keeps you cool and comfortable. The smooth touch of the fabric is very nice.
The waistband is elastic and there is a drawstring to adjust them when you need to. Adidas Men shorts provide an 11-inch inseam, so they are nice and long shorts- though not too long. You may need to purchase a size larger as these can fit a little small.
If you are getting these shorts just for the pockets, that is not a good idea as the pockets are really not very big. Adidas Men shorts start as low as $20, so they can be affordable, but they may also go up to $100.
- They are made from 100% polyester, and climalite fabric which draws moisture away from your skin.
- There is an elastic waistband with an inner drawstring for adjustments.
- They keep you cool and comfortable.
- The fit is more relaxed but the are long shorts.
- They are very lightweight and the fabric is very smooth.
- They can get expensive as you can find them all the way up to $100
- They run a little small for some
Best Training Shorts
What you will love: They’re breathable, adjustable, and direct sweat away from your skin to keep you cool and comfortable on the court.
Sweat management technology keeps perspiration away from your skin. It’s absorbed by the material and evaporates quickly so you stay cool and dry. Embroidered with the Nike logo, the fabric is smooth and comfortable.
Comfortable, Breathable Design
These basketball shorts are equipped with motion vents so your movements aren’t restricted. Mesh side pockets give you room to store those small items you need to keep close at hand. Side inserts improve ventilation, making these shorts extra breathable.
An elastic waistband and inside drawstring are adjustable but still provide a secure fit. Even the pockets — which can sometimes get in the way when they’re stocked with keys and cellphones — won’t move around when you’re in motion, so you won’t be distracted by them when you’re on the court.
- Easy to adjust.
- Comes with sweat-management technology.
- Side pockets give you convenient storage.
- Motion vents allow for seamless movement.
- Not as durable as some customers expected.
- Fabric may be prone to wrinkling.
How To Choose The Right Basketball Shorts?
The following are the factors we took into consideration when testing the basketball shorts, and they are what you should consider when purchasing:
Most basketball shorts will be made of either polyester, cotton, or a mix of materials. Those made from mostly cotton are comfortable, but they also soak up sweat and take forever to dry- not good for gaming.
Polyester options are also comfortable, but they dry quickly. At the same time cotton is more durable than polyester. Finding a blended fabric with moisture reducing properties will be your best bet.
The Right Fit/Sizing
You have to ensure that you have the right fit with your basketball shorts. A little baggy is okay, and will probably provide more comfort, but too baggy will slow you down.
Instead of guessing, measure your waist. 28 – 30 inches should go for a small, 32 – 35 inches should get a medium, 36 – 38 inches should get a large, 40 – 42 inches should go for an extra large, and 44 – 46 inches would do well with an extra extra large.
Having some breathable shorts on during game time can increase your comfort and level of performance. Again, a blend of fabrics will offer breathability and comfort.
Basically, you want your basketball shorts to reach your knee. Anything longer will interfere with running. Anything short- well- it just will not look good while you are running around the court, or if you happen to trip.
No one can tell you what is comfortable for yourself- you will have to decide for yourself. Try on a few different pairs and walk around for a minute. If they feel tight in any areas, move on to the next pair.
You also, of course, want to consider durability. Your basketball shorts will take a beating during games or practices, especially thanks to all of the sweat you will produce. Some shorts are more durable than others, so look for those that provide the most durability.
Why Do Basketball Players Need To Wear Basketball Shorts?
Basketball players, like other athletes, will sweat a lot during practice and games, so they need to wear shorts that are made to help keep them cool and dry. They also need to be able to move well, so they need to wear shorts that are designed for a wide range of motion. Basketball shorts are designed with these struggles in mind, so they make the perfect option.
What Is The Difference Between Basketball Shorts And Athletic Or Gym Shorts?
Most of them are actually the same, and many of them overlap. If you are looking for basketball shorts, be sure that they reach your knees, are not too tight in the legs, and can keep you cool and dry.
What Is A Good Length For Basketball Shorts?
The inseam should be about 11 inches long, bringing the shorts to somewhere near your knee. Some players like them a little higher or a little lower. The main thing is making sure that they will not interfere with your ability to move up and down the court.
Which Brand Makes The Best Basketball Shorts?
It is too difficult to answer this question. There are many great brands for basketball shorts. They all offer similar and different features. The best will depend solely on your opinion and personal preferences.
Final Verdict: Best Basketball Shorts
The right basketball shorts can completely change your game, but it is not always easy to choose the best. Here, we have taken a look at ten great options and the factors that you should consider when shopping for the best basketball shorts for you.
- Best Knee Brace for Basketball
- Top Basketball Socks
- Best Basketball Shoes For Volleyball
- Top Basketball Indoor Hoop
- Best Basketball Insoles